Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mom is gone

June 9, 1926 to May 16, 2012
We were expecting it, but that doesn't make it any easier.
It amazes me the memories that flood one's mind when "the news" is broken. 

We did not have a funeral for Mom, because she did not want one.  Mom was creamated and my sister, Connie, got me a Silver Cross that was/is made specifically to put a dab of ashes into, and then sealed.   We were hoping to go out into the Gulf on a friend's boat and scatter part of Mom's ashes, and that would probably have been the memorial.  But due to the weather, that idea has been postponed.

I have a canister that I took on the plane with me that has the other half of Mom's ashes.  Some are to be placed on my Dad's grave, and part scattered in the Colorado mountains. 

I am fortunate that I did have 40 more years to get to know my Mother than my Dad.  Having had time to get to know my Mom is very fortunate, indeed. 

Even after this time, and knowing what was to come, it doesn't lessen the heart ache and sense of loss. 
It does give me more of a sense of Family. 

Tell your family (and friends) you Love them the next chance you get.  You never know; it may be the last chance you get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment